Sunday, January 13, 2013

Up Pretty Early (01/13/13)


You know it seems odd writing 13 in the date field whenever I write it out. No doubt it is related to the "bad luck" connotation of this number. It's even weirder when you write it twice like I just did in the blog title. Boy would the Mayans or some other ancient people go to town had we 13 months in a year. LOL.

As an aside I actually laugh when I type in the LOLs on here. My cat doesn't think of it as being too strange as she hasn't said anything to me about it. Yet! LOL. My cat probably thinks that a lot of us humans are weird anyways as often when people walk in and see her or cross her path during the day they or we feel compelled to call out Jynx. Often repeatedly. The cat must think humans are effing delusional!

As is usually the case when I am writing up a blog on here I am listening to "Deep Tracks" out of Chicago. They just played a version of "Wooden Ships" that I always assumed was only a Crosby, Stills and Nash tune. Crosby and Stills along with Jefferson Airplane's Paul Kastner wrote the song back in the late 60s and the Airplane included it on their classic "Volunteers" album in '69. The CSN version was also released that same year. It's interesting to hear both versions. Lots of commonality and some distinct differences as well as the Airplane had some amazing musicians back then. The harmonies of Grace Slick and Marty Balin are great on the Airplane version. Then again the vocal harmonies of CSN are second to none. I have the feeling that I will be YouTube-ing CSN songs all morning now or at least until I run out of my pot of coffee Kahlua.

I had to make a Total Wine run yesterday to restock my coffee cordial. I had reached a critical point in my inventory levels there. I also bought a 6-pack of Anchor Brewing Company's Liberty Ale out of SF for imbibing at some near future date. LOL.

So as I had mentioned in my previous blog I tried a recipe out of Wednesday's Greenville News called "Kiki's Beef Curry on Flatbread". I have found when trying recipe's out for the first time that they are definitely hit or miss when it comes out to the spice content.

I thought I had all the ingredients but it turns out I was missing a cup of plain yogourt to add to the curried beef mixture right at the end of the cooking process. I'm not sure if that would have acted as a thickener or not.

One of the mistakes I made when browning the meat, onions and curry powder was perhaps not draining some of the fat at the end of that process. I was using a low-fat content ground beef but the end result was still a bit drippy as H put it. It was not as spicy as H likes his food. I figured as much as I didn't think that the newspaper was going to publish a high octane heat content recipe for a family dinner. Next go around on this recipe I will make sure to add some sriracha to up the spice factor.

The end result though was tasty and definitely gave off the aroma of Indian food having been prepared so the recipe is definitely a keeper for me. There aren't many leftovers left from it as I saw when I put it away last night.

The simple salsa recipe of olive oil, tomato and fresh parsley was excellent. I am definitely going to use that again. One of the things I have noticed when I used fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro is that I either have to have more patience in cutting or dicing the herb or be way more patient in de-stemming it or something. I take too many shortcuts there and I keep realizing that I don't like the "stemmy" part of the herbs if they are not cut fine enough. I also need a new zester thingy. Zesting the lemon last night was a pain in my derriere!

Going to try a chicken stew recipe today. I'll see how that turns out!

I watched a bit of the playoff football games yesterday but I got real tired of the hyperbole used in describing plays and performances. The word sublime and football should not be used in the same sentence. Sublime is John Butler playing an accoustic guitar. Sublime is listening to Morgan Freeman speak. Sublime is a CSN harmony or hearing Julia Roberts laugh. Watching 250 to 350 lb. behemoths running into each other is not sublime. It just seems that sports announcers on a weekly basis are spouting off on the greatest ever efforts, plays and mistakes made in the short history of televised sports. It's really not that spectacular, amazing or thrilling on such an ongoing basis. There's definitely some major exaggeration going on there.

I finally gave up on GB-SF game and ended up watching "GoldenEye" which was the first Bond film with Pierce Brosnan in the lead role. I am sure that I have seen it before but it almost seemed like I was watching it for the first time. I must say that Famke Janssen and Izabella Scorupco are as easy on the eyes for the male viewers as Brosnan likely is for the female viewers. Judi Dench as M was great. Even in a small role, she brings so much to the table.

After the movie I decided to start planning some of my vacation time for this year. There is definitely a beach trip or two in my 2013 summer plans. I've been trying to find something relatively affordable in the Outer Banks for June or July. It doesn't look it is going to happen unless I want to rough it a bit with some tent camping.

Much of the offers there are based on 3-4 families sharing a living space and dropping for $3000 or $4000 for a week's rental. There is very little available there for my family status these days though there might be some smaller timeshare condos available once I can figure out these websites without having to endure hard sells for timeshares. There could be a deal though for a two or three day recharge the batteries at the beach if I want to sit through a presentation or two. There are deals to be had in late August early September so that may end up being a late summer option.

I did happen to find some great possibilities for June/July at Sanibel Island in SW Florida. That trip is definitely going to happen once I check out the department roster for those two months. I loved my time there last summer and to be right on the island for a week and minutes from the beach would be sublime. Ha! There is that word again. LOL. That trip will be booked in the next two weeks. Yes!

Okay that's it for now. Time for some breakfast. OTC is hungry!

Peace out!





No comments:

Post a Comment