Saturday, January 26, 2013

Bad Drivers and Goulash Supreme (01/26/13)



Well now I feel like typing away this morning as I sip away on my 2nd coffee with Kahlua. I can star in their next TV ad that states that things go better with Kahlua. Never mind that Coca-Cola tag line as things really go better with my choice.

So it seems that yesterday was an adventure on the roads of the Upstate what with over 570 wrecks in 8 hours because of a little bit of freezing rain. The actual number is higher but the police stopped counting after 570 it seems. I drove by a couple of them on my way home back from the office after getting out early at noon to work virtually from home (whatever that means).

It's beyond me to see those statistics every time that there is some inclement weather here. One of the wrecks I saw involved at least 8 cars on a newly repaved 3-lane highway. It looked like a scene out of a demolition derby with 8 cars lined up one after another all banged up either front, side or back. You don't have to be a traffic road engineer to know that first they were likely driving too fast, too close and likely too preoccupied on their cellphones for the road and weather conditions.

Perhaps not all of them were but there were definitely a couple of them on their phones as it is epidemic here just like needing a 44 oz. soft drink to go with your chicken fingers at the local Spinx or QT. Don't get me started there. LOL.

Truthfully it is safer at times to stay off the roads than try to share them with these non-Einsteins down here!

So besides that occurring yesterday, I decided to try a new dish out that I received via email from allrecipes.com. The dish was called "Goulash Supreme" and differed from what my Mom used to make when I was child or teenager. Her recipe had beef that was oh so tender in a paprika and chili pepper based sauce usually served on yummy egg noodles.

The recipe I used yesterday called for lean ground beef, the requisite paprika, garlic, onions, tomato paste, chili peppers with stewed tomatoes. I used organic diced as I didn't have stewed ones and it also called for a macaroni-typed pasta.

The original recipe called for all of these ingredients to be blended and cooked together after browning the ground beef. There was no way I was going to do that. In my experience cooking any noodles or rice in a recipe all mixed up guarantees mush. LOL. This is in my limited cooking experience. We aren't talking Iron Chef skills. Yet! Ha.

Before I continue on here I want to make a point about organic diced tomatoes. What the heck does that mean anyways? I find myself buying stuff at Costco often because it says organic on the label as if that is some magic word that means super duper in taste and quality. I don't have a clue what the difference is between organic diced tomatoes and just plain ol' Del Monte diced tomatoes. Talk about being gullible!

It's kind of like seeing a label that says low fat or low calorie and thinking that it means something good. Low fat compared to what exactly. Low calorie compared to a huge bowl of rocky road ice cream made with real cream products or low fat compared to a carrot stick. After I finish writing this thing I will have to check out the definition of an organic diced tomato just so that I don't eff up my Saturday. I would do it now but then I may not finish writing this blog before my massage at 11. LOL.

Anyways back to "Goulash Supreme". It turned out okay. I think it was missing some oomph and the overall taste and aroma of the dish did not harken me back to days when my Mom used to make it just for me special. LOL. She probably told each of us that she was making it just special for us as it was a pretty much a well-liked dish in my family memory bank of things remembered. I will try the recipe one more time before adding it to the things I cook list but this time I will add some additional paprika, chili pepper and perhaps my new favorite jalapenos to add some oomph to the taste. I will let you know the results down the road. I am sure everyone is waiting with bated breathe or is it baited breath. Ha!

That's it for now as breakfast beckons and I need to shower before heading out to Massage Envy and later Barnes & Noble or Mr. K's.

Peace out especially to my blog readers in Russia. Pretty darn cool that someone or some people over there read these things of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment