Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Short One (A Sad One)


Okay I am going to try to knock off a quick blog before I "wok'n'woll" and make the chicken fajitas that I referred to quickly in yesterday's blog.

As is usually the case I need to update the world on what I am listening to as I hunt and peck on this keyboard. On tonight's musical menu I have "Deep Tracks" playing from 97.1FM The Drive based out of Chicago. It's a cool station playing songs that you've heard before but likely have not heard in the recent past. Songs like "Wah-Wah" by George Harrison or "World Turning" by Fleetwood Mac or "Winterlude" by Bob Dylan or "The Sad Cafe" by the Eagles. Like the station's name, definitely Deep Tracks.

I got some bad news on an account that I deal with on a monthly basis. Had some order issues today because certain obligations had not been met and ended up on the phone with a young lady there and tried to straighten things out to everyone's satisfaction. That got done but before it did I found that my main contact there Sam Chu had passed almost 3 months ago.

I had been talking with Sam for the last ten years or so. The scope of our conversations never went too deep. He was 15 years older than I and as the surname implies he was of Chinese descent. We would have conversations about how business was going, how he would pay us and when and over the last couple of years about his courageous battles with cancer. He had undergone radiation therapy and was positive about his battle with cancer. He had been away from the shop but as soon as he got back he made sure touch base with me to say hey and ask me for pre-printed deposit slips. I knew that before he passed away he took a long trip back home to visit and maybe tidy up his affairs.

The one thing that I will always remember about Sam is that his word was golden. This man always stayed true to his word and was truly a gentleman and a class act and I will miss our "pigeon" English conversations. Sam Chu you were a good man!

That's a big thing about getting older. It seems that people we know, people we care about, people we like and people we love pass on. I know that it is life but nevertheless it really bites.

Anyways that's it for now. Melancholia has set in. Back later when I am a bit more upbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment