Sunday, April 8, 2012

Ah Baseball




Ah the beginning of a new MLB season where hope springs eternal that my team (the Washington Nationals) will do all of the little things correctly and make September a month for me to think that they have a chance. With some of the changes they made over the off-season, I will paraphrase the Godfather of Soul and state that "I feel good." So good, so good. LOL. I'm actually singing the words.

Anyways here are some of my quick thoughts on the season so far in no particular order except to note that this is how it is coming to my keyboard as I hunt and peck.

Firstly I am super impressed with Jamie Moyer's return to the major leagues after being away for over 600 days. This after Tommy John surgery and after turning 49 years old this past November. Most guys his age are practicing right arm curls with a bottle of beer rather than figuring out ways to get players out on the Astros that weren't even born when he started pitching in the majors.I read that he has 8 children. Maybe that's why he still needs to pitch. Can you imagine in this age having 8 kids? Wow. The patience of Job is required no doubt. Remarkable story.

One thing I have noticed in our instant gratification society that we live in today is how quickly we turn nasty. Most teams have played two or three games and if you read some of the comments on different websites about team play or certain individual's play, it's a sad commentary on how we quickly the knives come out.

If you're a Braves fan or Red Sox fan, a lot of them are already losing coherent thought and respect for others. I mean it's only game three of the season. Geez Louise. Someone has to lose a game. You lose 1-0 to 10-0, it's a loss either way. They're already calling for the heads of Gonzales and Valentine. Ridiculous fairweather fans that have no idea what they are talking about.

The Tigers with Cabrera and Fielder in the 3rd and 4th spots look scary. I saw the game yesterday afternoon and they both hit a couple of jacks. You don't have to be slim jims when you hit 'em as far as they do. They make hitting look easy. Josh Beckett looked he had batting practice stuff against those guys yesterday.

Have to feel bad for the Cleveland Indians. They've played a 16-inning game and a 12-inning game and came up short both times agaisnt the Blue Jays. Tough way to start a season. At least they had a day-off between games. It's weird starting the season on a Thursday and then having a Friday off.

Back to my Nationals now. Big difference with the team this year is they seem to have an abundance of major league players. Be it in the starting rotation. The bullpen. The bench. They are a lot more solid this year than last year. Good to see Chad Tracy come up big in the first two games. Davey Johnson is going to have some tough decisions to make when Ankiel and Morse are ready to come off the DL. Lidge and Rodriguez are making us forget that Storen will be back real soon. Clippard and his funky glasses has started right where he left off last year.

I think it will be a fun year for my Nationals.





No comments:

Post a Comment