Sunday, October 2, 2011

Mixed CD


So before I go off an a tangent right away, I'm going to talk about the CD I burned way back when...

1. Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden (1982)
Okay I guess I wanted to start off the CD with one of those songs that is best played loud and louder. Hide the women and children and bow to the masters of metal from 1982. This song appeared on one of the most classic heavy metal albums ever released. The album in question is "Number Of The Beast" which featured not only "Hallowed..." but also the better known title track from this album as well as "Run To The Hills". Being a heavy metal band they sure aren't singing a boy meets girls theme here. LOL. The lyrics are dark and foreboding and are about a prisoner on his way to the gallows all the while claiming his innocence. It starts off slow for the first minute and then the rest of the song is played hard and fast and Bruce Dickinson sings it, shouts it like there is no tomorrow. Definitely not a first date song unless your gf looks tougher than you in leather. O:)

2. Fall To Pieces - Velvet Revolver (2004)
Okay looks like I was continuing on the morbid theme the day I burned this CD. It must have been an early, early Monday morning. Track #2 is about Scott Weiland's heroin addiction and the effect on him as well as the effect on his relationship with his wife. This was a power ballad and the 1st single released by the band that was going to take over the hard rock mantle from the remnants of Guns'n'Roses. The band featured the great lead guitar of Slash as well as Duff McKagan on bass and Matt Sorum on drums. All three were key ex-Gunners. Throw in Dave Kushner and his punk credentials on rhythm guitar and the aforementioned ex-lead singer of the Stone Temple Pilots Scott Weiland and this band was primed. The song is sad but pretty at the same time. It features what I would call the atypical Slash guitar which is weepy, bluesy and melodic all at the same time. Couple this with Scott's heartfelt lyrics it was destined to be song to get heavy rotation on FM rock stations.

3. Vertigo - U2 (2004)
Well at least I got happier on track #3. Maybe I had a couple of coffees by that point. "Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce". Huh. WTF. Bono was a child left behind. 1,2,3,14. LOL. I have no idea what this song is about. Try to catch all the words of this song and good luck with that while you are at it. The words that you are singing along to are probably not the words you think that you are singing along to. LOL. Honest to Gawd. Play the song. Put the lyric sheet up. Then you will know what I mean. Anyways the song has a great driving beat to it. Put it on loud. Sing whatever words you want. Yell out "hola" at the appropriate time and laugh to yourself. It is a feel good song. Well it is to me and "no one gets hurt". `

4. Simple Man - Shinedown (2003)
To use the words of one of one of the managers that I best worked with which was “I tell you what”; This CD review is taking forever because (a) I had chauffeur duties (b) I was watching the Tigers beat the Yankees and (c ) I started drinking some beers pretty dang early today. LOL. I remember the reason that I put this on the CD. I was driving up to Montreal to pick up the prodigal son and I was bringing his buddy Aaron with me on this trip. Aaron was H's best bud for the longest time. I brought him (Aaron) to Gatlinburg a week or so after my Mom died to help H deal with things. The next year I brought Aaron to Mtl with me to get H at his Mom's place. I have pictures from that trip. I have to get my printer set up to scan these pics. They tie in so well. Anyways Aaron loved this song so I burned it onto the CD just for him. At the time I liked the song. I didn't know that this was a Lynyrd Skynyrd song at the time. Hey I am Canadian. Shoot me. LOL.

Okay I need a break....I will follow up on the other 11 songs on this CD tomorrow...LOL...maybe

No comments:

Post a Comment