Wednesday, November 17, 2010

DADT....

I just got home from a pretty poor performance at trivia and decided to get online. I have a tendency to check out 4 websites in no particular order. These being MLB.com, Wikipedia.com, SlamSports.com and HuffingtonPost.com. I usually get quite worked up about an article or two on Huffington Post which typically slants to the left which is primarly where my thinking rests. Anyways time to get back on track. One of their banner articles was about DADT. Don't ask don't tell. Why the eff does this make an effing difference in 2010. Does one's sexual orientation really matter in the forces? Does it matter on the battlefield?

This is my take on it coming from a single parent perspective. I am incredibly proud of what my son has become in his 19+ years on the planet. In the past I have told him especially since moving to the land of the free and the home of the brave that I admire the sacrifice and wherewithal of ALL the young people that enlist in our Forces. I'm glad that he hasn't decided to join the forces because we are involved in some actions that we probably shouldn't be involved in at this time. My opinion only. Regardless of my selfish thought process I am incredible grateful, thankful and proud of those that choose to enlist to promote our ideals. Those being males and females. Whites, blacks or hispanics. Democrats, Republicans or Independents. Catholics, Protestants, Muslims or Atheists. Straights or gays. Does it make a difference. Look at the "labels" I just gave people. Does it matter whether or not you like the opposite sex. No it doesn't. Why should it? Why is this important? Any reason why it is? Convince me otherwise please! I don't think anyone can.

No comments:

Post a Comment