Sunday, March 17, 2013

This And That And The Other Thing (03/17/13)



Well Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! This day is also known worldwide as Marc's Birthday Eve. Ha! Yes I am celebrating another birthday tomorrow. All I can say about that is man oh man the years go by fast after you hit forty. I am flipping over to 2nd half of my life officially tomorrow.

After spending a quiet Friday night at home making chicken curry (thumbs up from the younger Schlewing) for the first time on my own and getting semi-sloshed on a bottle of Italian red; I was quite busy yesterday. The morning absolutely sucked and I don't think I can make it any prettier than that.

I got super busy in the afternoon in my backyard cleaning up as much of remaining leaves and sweet effing gumballs that have accumulated in my yard for the last couple of years. Literally hundreds and hundreds. I filled up at least 12 to 15 wheelbarrow loads of stuff that has fallen off the trees in my yard or are leftover grass clippings from last year I guess. Surprisingly my back is okay today. I have a sore spot on my right hand caused by the manner that I rake which will probably get worse in a little bit when I head back out to finish what I started yesterday and on several other weekend days. It's great having a large and tree filled backyard but it is work keeping it well maintained.

After doing this work I felt I should reward myself with a trip downtown to the West End and have myself some great chicken wings and craft beers on tap at Mac's Speed Shop. A bonus was that a great traditional Irish band named Kellee (www.kelleemusic.com/#1) was playing there at 8pm. I have seen Kellee play at Fitzpatrick's at least 5-6 times over the last couple of years and have always enjoyed their versions of traditional Irish songs from yesteryear. I stayed for the first set and as usual loved their music. Unfortunately Mac's crowd was not very appreciative of the efforts made by the band. Most weren't listening and hardly participating. Kellee's music is truly an interactive affair to really enjoy.

There were tons of people wearing green yesterday night but they were less Irish than people from Sri Lanka or the Solomon Islands. A bunch of posers drinking Bud Light in green bottles and having shots called Irish Car Bombs. Just the name of that shot revolts me. I can't be the only person that thinks that naming a drink after symbols of violence is just effing wrong. What's next? A shot named after 911 or Newtown. Think of it. Isn't that exactly the same as the name of that shot? Disheartening I think.

Okay enough of that vent. It just peeved me off.

I will say that the chicken wings were phenomenal. I always take the Red BBQ flavor. Delicious! I had a few pints of Redhook Long Hammer IPA and truly enjoyed that beer as well. First time having this beer that is brewed in Washington state. Definitely a keeper.

Well as I wrote earlier, time to get busy outside!

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment