Saturday, March 12, 2011

Bob Seger "Turn The Page" 2004



I woke up an hour or so ago after falling asleep on the couch and decided to surf the net for awhile before calling it a night for a second time. As is usually the case I have to be listening to music while surfing and I decided to check out some videos on YouTube. You find some absolute gems on this site. This morning's nugget is a version of "Turn The Page" from Bob Seger's long overdue induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2004.

The song is instantly recognizable from that opening wail from the saxophone segueing into "on the long and lonesome highway east of Omaha". I think that a sign that a song is a true classic is when it touches not just my generation or even the one before mine but the one that follows. If you happen to check Harrison's Ipod you will find the version from Live Bullet on it. I remember him telling me that the Metallica version didn't come close and that they should have just left it alone. I agree with the sentiment but at the same time Metallica released "Garage Inc." as a tribute to the songs and music that heavily influenced them. You have to give 'em props for that.

What is it about this song that makes it so memorable besides the understated musicality? The lyrics are about being on the road night after night. It isn't something that I can really identify with but going a little bit further you realize as you sing along or "playing the star again" that for about 5 minutes you become Bob Seger, you become a tired rock'n'roller, you become the lyrics. That is the true beauty of this song. You're driving down the highway, the song is playing full blast on the stereo and "echoes from the amplifiers are ringing in your ears".

I heard that Bob Seger is touring this summer. Sounds like a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment