Sunday, January 22, 2017

Food Review Meanderings - Mamacitas


So anybody that sees my Orange Peel concert posts on Facebook will often see a mention or two of my love for Mamacitas Mexican Grill which is located right nearby on Biltmore Avenue. In fact only Wicked Weed Brewing stands in between the OP and Mamacitas. Wicked Weed is also an awesome place especially for some pretty spectacular brewed on-site craft beers and funky food choices. I will have to blog about Wicked Weed one of these days. Likely after one of those nights that I partake in several pints of awesome beers by their fire pit.

The really cool thing about Asheville is that they have some great places to get good food at really affordable prices. One of those places is definitely is Mamacitas Mexican Grill. Check out this part of the menu:

1. Choose OneBurrito, Taco Pair, Burrito Bowl or Salad
2. Fillings, Delicious Fillings


Grilled Chicken - citrus OR chiptotle marinated …$7.49
Avocado & Black Bean - avocado - black beans - mexican rice …$6.99
Pulled Pork - slow cooked pork - adobo sauce …$7.49
Baja Fish - cabbage- baja sauce …$7.49
Citrus Tofu - organic tofu citrus marinated …$7.49
Chorizo Verde - house-made deliciouness …7.49
Grilled Steak - salsa marinated-cooked to order …$9.99
Grilled Shrimp - guajillo marinated-Oaxacan style …$9.99
Veggie Mama - sweet potato-kale-black beans …$7.49
Ground Beef - seasoned beef-chipotle sauce …$7.49

I always go for the Chorizo Verde Burrito which is absolutely massive (see pic below). In the last few months I have this strange fixation on sausages related to a country's cuisine be it Polish, Portuguese, Italian, German or Mexican. May as well throw in Cajun Country's andouille sausage as well. Yeah yeah I know I have issues. Tell me something that I don't know.


So I get this huge effing burrito filled with chopped or diced chorizo verde which is basically ground pork shoulder mixed with fresh poblano chile, fresh serrano chiles,cilantro and ground spinach powder. Yes it has a little bite to it. Added to this in the burrito are black beans, Mexican style rice, finely shredded Mexican cheese, fresh diced jalapenos, pico de gallo and more cilantro. Usually I will get a side of fried plantains on the side which are otherworldly awesome. Deep fried plantains are my raison etre for using a deep fryer at home. Absolutely epic. I didn't get those the other night. I took the homemade chips on the side and added some tomatillo salsa verde and a spicy chipotle salsa.

Knowing that I was going to partake in some craft beers at the Dweezil Zappa show and that I had a 70 mile drive home later that night I only took a couple of glasses of ice water to help alleviate the spiciness of my food choices. LOL. I will say though that their beverage prices are extremely reasonable just like the rest of their menu is as well. End result to wallet that night for that awesome tasting burrito was $8.01 or $27 Canadian. LOL. Geezus some of the drek that you can get at fast food places costs more and that is for fake processed shite. Super value at Mamacitas Mexican Grill!

I'll end this blog saying that I have tried on many occasions at home to perfect burrito plates especially with leftovers that remain from my cooking for one adventures (haha) but my efforts are always for naught as my burritos fall apart and pretty much become a messy salad of sorts. I think my burritos are too wet. Okay that looks weird. Too wet. Hmm. Pretty sure I will edit that line at some future date. I just can't think of a better term right now. LOL.

In honor of this blog, it's time for a good tequila shot!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment